Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Okay, my recent bicycle story

So I'm heading out to Eagle so my own shortstop, I will call her shortcake, has some time to herself at home. She's dealing with dangerous people and is a little stressed.

Anyways, I get to Eagle and it's only been an hour ride so I figure I'll just keep going to Elmwood. I like the long rides where you get in a rhythm and no one is talking and you just have yourself to be bothered by. I'm cruising along when a female dear, yes a doe of 150-200 lbs, jumps out of the bushs and crosses the path infront of me by about 30 yards. I slow way down hoping... but then it happens, two bambis hop out of the bushes and follow their mom. For a moment I worry. I hope momma doesn't see me as a threat and come over and kick my ass. It could be a long time before another biker comes along to find my bloody pulped up body.

They disappeared and it was cool and naturey, but geesh guys, I got scared by some deer. Guess my card as a man has been revoked. I shall cease my hunting privileges and I will join the female gathering people...

I'll attempt Wabash on Saturday if anyone wants to join.

~That other Scott.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that happens to a lot of people, you run accross any living thing on the trail and you instantly think of the crazy story of some parakeet freekin out and killin some guy.
Or dear running along side you at wilderness, everyone thinks damn, that's sweet, I hope he doesn't come over here and jack me at 14 mph.
So anything you see your like, damn, is that raccoon gonna freak on me and bite my shit. or the same with deer, possum, snapping turtles, snakes. All that shit freaks me out when I come across it alone and at night, or even when your on a group ride at night.

out of all the living things to come accross riding and freaking your shit out is spiders, running into a big web with something the size of a silver dollar hanging there bumping into your nose, oh that's the full on hibee jeebee's
cvo

August 31, 2004 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger scott showen said...

thats what i hate about riding trails early in the day or at the caves where the trail will go days with out someone on them, your the one who does the "mine sweeping"

August 31, 2004 at 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya, In earyl summer I was riding back from Eagle at night and a deer jumped out in front of me and started running down the trail. It got surprised when I started gaining on it and took a sharp left turn. Kinda cool

September 5, 2004 at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home